Social media opens up a whole world of lesson possibilities which the learners would love! Edgar Artis is an amazing instagram fashion illustrator who is very popular. As soon as I discovered him I knew my grade 6s would love his work! I decided to do a project around his style.
The lesson began with a figure drawing session. Various members of the class took turns posing for their friends while their friends practiced drawing from observation. When the next week I told them they could either choose their favourite posed drawing, or choose from a selection of images I had, and draw a model. I asked them to complete the drawing as much as possible with colour and outlines etc. This finished, they then began adding the clothing.
Edgar Artis does this using a various media, the stranger and the more unexpected, he greater the impact! The learners had to do this as well. They loved this step! They used old fabric, feathers (these were a favorite), beads and even seeds to create their clothing. Once it was finished, we cut out the model and pasted it onto black card which we could add details to using metallic pens.
Andy Warhol was an artist that I felt my grade 7s could connect with. He was an art superstar from the last century who was super controversial and super interesting. We began this lesson with an intro to Warhol and his work and watched a pretty cool short clip that I found on youtube, showing Andy working on his Marilyn Monroe screen print artwork. This (and other similar artworks) was to form the basis of this art project.
I had already printed out black and white photocopies of all of the staff of Camps Bay Primary that we use in front of the office. Each learner was given one printout. The learners could use various techniques to edit each printout by adding colour and darkening lines. The first technique used by most of the learners was using oil pastel over the black and white face/hair etc. of the member of staff and then taking tissue paper and removing as much of it as possible. What you get is a softer colour that remains on the white areas of the page but where the black is printed, it cannot be seen.
Following Warhol’s style, the learners were encouraged to use bright colours and bold lines. They painted the background behind their member of staff using solid colour. They were then given two square pieces of cardboard, one coloured/black and the other slightly larger one, white. They used these to make a funky border for their artwork.
There was a little uncertainty about whether the staff would be happy to have the artworks up in the school exhibition but they were very supportive! The project was great fun.
This project was very fun! The idea came from this site. Learners had to bring a can to class. I first taught the learners about cubism and Pablo Picasso. They then began making their artwork.
Learners began by crushing their can! This was a fairly noisy process (especially with the principals office beneath my class). At the end of the period, each can was definitely crushed though! I then explained what a portrait was and linked the drawing of the portrait with the Cubist trait of using geometric shapes and drawing the character from different angles.
They were encouraged to use bright colours and to keep the form away from being realistic.
I got this idea from an artwork I saw at the Eisteddfod art competition 2 years ago. Their one was a simple one showing figures made out of rolled up newspaper doing the Olympic events. I thought we could take that to the next level!
I found a video of a person pretending to be the character from assassins creed and doing some pretty amazing parkour through the streets of his city. I then explained to the class how a person in a dynamic position would look. I showed them how diagonal lines have more movement then vertical or horizontal ones.
They then had to create their scene! The learners had a lot of freedom in the scene they chose to create. This meant that some of the learners to a fairly long time to get on to actually working on the project at hand but it resulted in a great diversity in the art that was eventually handed in.
The learners had to create their person out of rolled up pieces of magazine paper. They could decorate the background in any way they wanted but I found that relying more on collage resulted in a more interesting artwork in the end and next time I do this project I will include this in the project instructions.
Our learners were introduced to that ancient and well loved student art of drawing little pictures in the corners of books and flipping through them so that they look like they are moving. I took a few of them once finished, scanned them in and then, using Movie Maker, made a little animation from them!
Here it is!